15 September 2009

A HERO BURIED, A LOVE CONFIRMED

Kanye West, why?

While there has been so much media over the Kanye/Taylor Debacle of 2009, I can't help but memorialize my feelings about the incident on the interweb. After all, every contribution to the online community is a worthy one, right? Right.

This next statement has been a long time coming. I HATE KANYE WEST. It's the kind of hate that the toddler-girl had for Ron Burgundy in Anchorman after he nonchalantly told Los Angeles to go procreate with itself.

I used to LOVE Kanye West. Before "Through the Wire" became a huge hit, I knew that he was someone I needed to follow. His ability to merge multiple genres and incorporate wit in hip-pop was love at first listen. Kanye spoke to my soul through his music and aloud me to finally be able to look up to an entertainer. And following his work with respectable artists like Harlem Boys Choir, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys...my obsession became certifiable. Cherry on top? His ghetto prep fashion. He was mine and I was his.

When I decided to discontinue my graduate program at Columbia, I dubbed it my Kanye Moment. I can do without, just like Kanye did.

And then he began to talk crazy. About homosexuals. About the White House. About him being the new King of Pop. And now, about America's current sweetheart, Taylor Swift.

Kanye's fashion followed suit and was as equally as obnoxious as his words. He is a dillusional, arrogant, narcissistic man who has taken self-confidence to a whole new level. He epitomizes everything that I hate in a person. Kanye, you deserve all the heat you get.

To be so obnoxious and hurt other people? That's not the Kanye I fell in love with. You sir, are no longer my hero.

The one thing Kanye did right that night was to open up an opportunity for my one, true love Beyonce Knowles to showcase her good nature and humble personality. In her acceptance speech of the mother of all VMA Awards (Video of the Year - which trumps Swift's Best Female Video), she brings it back to her first moment as a 17 year-old, in Destiny's Child, on the Music Awards stage and how Taylor deserved to feel the same way she had.

What a beautiful soul. Talented and going to heaven. Boy, oh boy, am I jealous of Jay-Z. While Kanye destroyed his reputation, Beyonce verified why has deserved the success that is also known as her life.

I'm in the business of shaping lives and Kanye, I've got advice for you. Walk over to our yellow chair. Sit and close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Exhale. Open your eyes.

If you are going to act like a 3 year-old, I will treat you like one.

Beyonce...you get a star.

1 comment:

jaci said...

I cried when I saw the clip of Beyonce- she is a goddess. And I love your little teacher moment at the end of the post.