19 November 2008

FROM LEFT FIELD

This week's entry has a predetermined winner. But, if you stop reading now, you won't know why. So District of Columbians and Gothamists alike, take a step out of the limelight and give someone their fifteen minutes of fame. This underrated and often ignored city has stolen the crown.

Buffalo, step up to the stand.

Yes, yes, this entry has been Karl Roved. But, I am proud to say that I spent some time in the Queen City and had an amazing time. My co-workers snipped at me when I shared my weekend plans, debachaurous evenings in the Lower East Side still fresh in their memory. My DC pals thought it "bush league" that I had not spent the weekend with them, especially with traditional fall events in which I assumed the role of mayor in years past.

Here are some reasons why Buffalo was the wild card of the week.

FOOD: Everyone knows that the way to my heart is through my stomach. Buffalo was successful in winning my heart over because of their local dishes. While the food I consumed this weekend were neither delicacies nor healthy, it was the most satiated my stomach has been in a long time. Jim's on Elmwood Avenue was a late night stop that hit the spot. Not really knowing what I was being ordered, I was pleasantly surprised at both their chicken finger sub and steak sandwich. That's right...BOTH. A local bruncherie, Pano's, had a morning after solution of scramble and feta in a pita that did the job so well, it's officially called "The Fix." The one destination I had my heart set on was Bar Bill in East Aurora, where my best friend from college claims the best wings are made. Before the wing, we had a glorious appetizer of beef on weck--roast beef on kummelweck. As we had our first batch, he explained to me the art of preparing the dish that made Buffalo famous. The saucing, the deep frying and baking of each jumbo wing does not compare to the love I put into eating it. At the end of the night, my friend's statement transitioned from gospel to truth.

image from: www.theunknowshirt.com



PEOPLE: While the people in Buffalo were not the richest or most attractive, here's where they win. They've got good attitudes. Other than the two guys who had tried to fight my friend, one minute after we exchanged plesantries in the 24-hour convenience mart over our adult bevarage purchases, everyone was real friendly and positive. And who can hate that. There was the super-hyper, but adorable girl. The down to earth brother of a high school friend. And of course, the heir to a juice manufacturing empire. Totally great people.

SPORTS: Buffalo has some fanatics. I mean, where else can you find a grown man in his late 20's knitting Bills beenies the sunday before a huge Monday Night Football game, with temperatures expected to go below freezing. Or where kids would forego a Thanksgiving Feast to support their high school soccer team's attempt at a state championship. Ok, well maybe you can find that in a lot of towns across the nation. But, boy do these people love their sports.

VIBE: So life gets a bit hectic in urban areas. And being in urban areas for such a long time, you forget that life can be simple and it is an enjoyable journey. Don't get me wrong--Buffalo is not Smalltown, USA. But at the end of the day, Buffalonians know that some things are more important. Enjoying pizza and wings with a loving family. Sipping maté on a chilly sunday afternoon with friends. Walking to the local wal-mart, that's better than Walmart. Seeing a natural wonder of the world. Getting drunk and dancing on the streets of Chippewa. Connecting with your non-sister who you tell people is. That's what it's about in Buffalo. And their joie de vivre was exactly what this city boy needed after some rough weeks.

All the things Buffalo had to offer trumped the city that they've always come second to in the State and the first city of the Nation, even for just the weekend. So, kudos Buffalo. You did good kid.

But to be honest, this reign won't be long. And 80% of the reason why I really liked Buffalo was because I was with my best friend who I hadn't seen in months.

So stay tuned, and see the real cities come back to compete.

No comments: